If you’re a motorist then you’ll know how difficult it can sometimes be to see pedestrians wearing dark clothes at night or when visibility is poor. We have been learning the road safety message ‘Be Bright, Be Seen’ at school and we feel it’s important that you as a parent or carer help your child to be easily seen near traffic. Wearing a bright coat can help, as can providing fluorescent and reflective armbands, school bags etc.
How can my child be seen more easily?
1. On dull days your child can wear bright or fluorescent colours
- Special high-visibility tabards and other clothing can be bought from many retailers
- Fluorescent armbands can also be worn over coats and other clothing
- Bags are also available in bright colours or with high-visibility strips
2. If walking near traffic at night reflective clothing is needed
- Reflective clothing reflects light from car and bike headlamps
- Reflective armbands and clothing can be bought for children
- Remember that fluorescent colours do not show up in the dark
For older children who may consider fluorescent and reflective armbands and clothing ‘uncool’, stickers can be bought which can be put on bags or coats.
This message isn’t only for children: make sure you wear bright clothing too.